Essor, chute, puis renaissance des études à temps partiel pour adultes à l’Université de Montréal
In 1952, the University of Montréal established an Extension Service. One of the first initiatives of this service was to create a bachelor’s degree for part-time adult students. This initiative resulted in a struggle with the Faculty of Arts and, for a few years, the university prohibited the Extension Service from offering credits for its training. In 1968, the Extension Service was replaced by the Continuing Education Service. This new service quickly created approximately 50 university diplomas for part-time students, and became a faculty of its own in 1975. In 1980, one out of every six people who were studying at the University of Montréal was enrolled in the Faculty of Continuing Education. By drawing attention to these data, this paper enriches the literature pertaining to the history of adult education within the context of Canadian higher education. Based on this historical account, the paper questions the links between higher education, lifelong learning, and social inequality.